Discover the Best West Virginia Communities
Rolling green hills, mountain vistas, winding nature trails, and glass-blue lakes make West Virginia a nature-loving retiree’s ideal destination. People flock here for the low cost of living and abundance of unspoiled greenspace to explore, but let’s not forget the upscale side of this pristine state: luxury golf communities, refined dining and cultural experiences, and rich Colonial history make this state stand out.
Why retire in West Virginia?
More than 20% of West Virginians are over the age of 65. If that in itself doesn’t tell you it’s a top retirement destination, read on for more details on why so many people head to this state to spend the best years of their lives.
What are the benefits of living in West Virginia?
Here’s why so many outdoorsy West Virginians enjoy living an active life in the Mountain State.
- Nature is number 1: When you’re in West Virginia, fresh mountain air abounds. It’s the only state entirely within the Appalachian region, and it’s the state with the highest average elevation east of the Mississippi.
- Leaf peeping: With mountains come much more of nature’s offerings. People travel from around the world to experience the vibrant orange-yellow hues that cloak the mountains of West Virginia in the fall. When you live there, this spectacle becomes an annual event you look forward to.
- Low cost of living: West Virginia consistently ranks in the top 5 states to retire based on cost of living. West Virginia is a tax-friendly state in general, but it boasts the ninth-lowest property tax rate in the U.S.—at about 0.57%, which is around half the national average.
- Rich cultural experiences: If you’re looking for a day in the city, West Virginia has options for you. Head into Charleston to explore the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences. Peruse the Capitol Market for fresh local eats or sit down for fine dining in one of the city’s many acclaimed restaurants. Cities like Morgantown and Huntington also offer rich history and culture alongside winding wooded trails.
- Healthy lifestyle: Living amongst the mountains means you’ve got an active and healthy lifestyle built in. Hiking, walking, rafting, rock climbing, swimming, golfing, tennis and more are a regular part of life here.
- Experience the seasons at their best: From the crisp mountain air in the winter months to the warm sunshine during the summer months—West Virginia lets residents experience the mild change of the seasons without the harsh ends of the spectrum.
Ready to retire in West Virginia?
If West Virginia has caught your eye, we’ve got options for you to explore and see if it’s your ideal place to retire. Browse the retirement communities below to get a taste of the upscale mountain lifestyle you can achieve there. When you find a community you like, use the information request form to chat with a local representative in the area. You can ask about healthcare, the neighborhood, the golf courses, and more. If there’s a destination in particular that interests you, use the filtering options on the left to narrow down and find the community you’re looking for.
Research and Explore the Best West Virginia Retirement Communities
Click to explore the following West Virginia communities. Request information from multiple communities by selecting the checkboxes to the right and completing the form below.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
Plan your West Virginia retirement community visit
Now let’s plan a trip—leaf season or not. You won’t know for sure if West Virginia is for you until you visit and see it for yourself. Several of the West Virginia communities below offer tours or will arrange for you to stay nearby to tour the area. Ready to start exploring the Mountain State?