Master-Planned and Gated Communities in Texas
If you haven’t heard, everything in Texas is gigantic—and that includes the appeal of this state as your retirement destination or second home location. Texas has a rich western heritage and a colorful, unique history. Between exciting cities, luxurious resort towns, and the rugged outdoors, there’s something for everyone.
What’s the Big Deal?
Let’s start with the geographical landscape. Whether you’re exploring desert badlands, catching rays along the coastline, hiking lush mountains, or taking in prairie views, there’s a wealth of natural beauty to appreciate. You’ll also find cities bustling with culture, entertainment, good eats, shopping—the list goes on. Some hot spots include:
- The Dallas Arts District – Here you’ll find the Dallas Museum of Art, showcasing a global collection and special exhibitions throughout the year. At the Perot Museum of Nature and Science, you can explore everything from dinosaur fossil skeletons to gems and minerals and enjoy other special events and programs. Catch a show at the Dallas Theater Center, take in the sounds of a symphony at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, embark on the Texas Sculpture Walk, and so much more.
- Houston – The city itself is brimming with activity, but most notably, it’s home to the Space Center Houston, NASA’s Mission Control. Visit the Sam Houston Park for a trip back in time, or explore the popular Museum District, where you’ll find 19 world-class institutions.
- Big Bend National Park – From sightseeing to hiking, horseback riding to camping, there is an abundance to see and do in this park. The river, desert, and mountains are all within the 800,000-acre attraction.
- Austin – The state capital is also known for its live music scene, with big nods to country, blues, and rock genres. But music aside, you’ll want to explore the many unique attractions that make this city one of a kind.
- San Antonio River Walk – A fun way to navigate the city, the river walk offers access to shopping, dining, sightseeing, and more. You can stroll by foot and find the treasures of San Antonio on your own, or take a guided tour on a river barge. Whether you end up at a historical site like the Alamo or in a restaurant enjoying good food al fresco is up to you.
Living in TX
Although summers tend to be hot and humid, warm weather seekers will appreciate the mild winters. Overall, the climate is favorable year-round. Texas also has a low cost of living and has no income tax. This means that retirement income, including Social Security benefits, pension income, and retirement account income are not taxed, so your dollar can go farther.
Research and Explore the Best Communities in Texas
Click to explore the following Texas communities. Request information from multiple communities by selecting the checkboxes to the right and completing the form below.
David Weekley Homes is proud to present Encore at Viridian, a 55+ lifestyle community in Arlington, Texas. In the heart of the bustling Dallas-Fort Worth metro area, Encore at Viridian offers you access to big city life, but the feel of a tight knit neighborhood. As part of the sprawling Viridian master-planned community, you’ll find everything you’re looking for here with Encore.
These distinguished one-story homes are situated on 45-foot homesites and feature bright, open-concept gathering spaces and expanded outdoor living areas for entertaining. Modern kitchens and bathrooms enhance your comfort, and floor plans ranging from 1,972 to 3,002 square feet ensure you have plenty of space to relax. Front yard care is included, so you’ll have more time to take advantage of everything the neighborhood has to offer.
Exclusive for Encore residents, the Magnolia Lifestyle Center has resort-style pools, a fitness center, and various courts so you can stay in shape. Find new hobbies and build friendships by joining one of the many full activities planned by our Lifestyle Director.
You’ll also have access to everything within the greater Viridian community, including sailing, dozens of parks and green spaces, miles of trails, and the Lake Club, with five distinct pools, a pavilion, and a small amphitheater. You can also escape to the Sanctuary of Viridian, which includes 850 acres of open space, lakes, and a 150-acre wooded conservation area.
You can enjoy festivals, sporting events, restaurants, entertainment, and shopping without ever leaving Arlington. The city is also home to a surprisingly robust bowling subculture and a Martha Stewart-approved holiday light show.
If you’re still not convinced, there is no state no income tax? There are limited opportunities remaining for a new home at Encore at Viridian, and we wouldn’t want you to miss out. Visit us and take the first step toward your new life.
Request more information below for David Weekley Homes’ Encore at Viridian.
Whether you’re retiring, working from home, or raising a family, Headwaters in the Hill Country of Texas is a destination to explore.
The HW Central recreational complex is the hub of healthy year-round activities at Headwaters. The community’s Lifestyle Director schedules interest-club meetings and coordinates special events, while neighbors can meet up anytime at The Hub coffee shop. HW Fit is the center’s unique fitness facility that features state-of-the-art cardio and strength-training equipment, plus group workout programs. Just outside is the split-level pool complex with a splash pad for the kids and trailheads for more than eight miles of scenic walking and biking paths.
Headwaters is being developed by industry leader Freehold Communities, which has put its upscale imprint on premier communities from Florida to California. For Headwaters, the company has assembled a roster of award-winning homebuilders like Ashton Woods, David Weekly, Taylor Morrison, and Newmark. The modern farmhouse-inspired residences are open floor plan designs with high ceilings, lots of windows, and large front porches.
In the nearby town of Dripping Springs, Headwaters residents can enjoy evenings in the historic downtown district, as well as convenient professional services, wineries, golf courses, and other lifestyle extras in the immediate area. Just 25 minutes away is the Texas state capitol of Austin with its famous live-music venues, fine-dining restaurants, hi-tech businesses, and all of the cultural amenities supported by the main campus of the University of Texas.
Request more information below about Headwaters and find your next destination on the frontier of luxury lifestyles.
David Weekley’s first 55+ active adult community is coming soon to the brand new, master-planned community of The Highlands! Located in Porter, TX, The Highlands is dedicated to everything you know and love about home and nature. The Highlands is a 2,300-acre exploration of natural beauty and will be built to take full advantage of its densely forested, national park-like setting. David Weekley’ section in The Highlands – Encore will feature 45- and 55-foot, single-story homesites along with top-quality construction, open-concept livability and a splendid Montgomery County location near shopping, dining and entertainment. In The Highlands, you’ll soon experience the best in Design, Choice and Service from one of Houston’s top home builders as well as a variety of amenities, including:
• Lifestyle Director to schedule activities
• 55+ clubhouse
• 18-hole golf course and tennis courts
• Hiking, biking and adventure trail system along the San Jacinto River
• Event lawn and pavilion, recreation field and playgrounds
• Acres of parks, greenspaces and onsite lakes for fishing and kayaking
• Waterpark with lazy river
Plan a visit to Texas
Ideal living starts with the right community—so why not find one in Texas? Options like active senior communities and 55+ communities give you the perfect place to settle down, complete with the resort living lifestyle you’re after. If you’re curious, set up some time to visit a community that catches your eye. Try it on for a weekend. See if it fits. Then, you’ll know for sure that the Lone Star State offers you the big things you want for this time of your life.