Master-Planned and Gated Communities in Texas
If you haven’t heard, everything in Texas is gigantic—and that includes the appeal of this state as your retirement destination or second home location. Texas has a rich western heritage and a colorful, unique history. Between exciting cities, luxurious resort towns, and the rugged outdoors, there’s something for everyone.
What’s the Big Deal?
Let’s start with the geographical landscape. Whether you’re exploring desert badlands, catching rays along the coastline, hiking lush mountains, or taking in prairie views, there’s a wealth of natural beauty to appreciate. You’ll also find cities bustling with culture, entertainment, good eats, shopping—the list goes on. Some hot spots include:
- The Dallas Arts District – Here you’ll find the Dallas Museum of Art, showcasing a global collection and special exhibitions throughout the year. At the Perot Museum of Nature and Science, you can explore everything from dinosaur fossil skeletons to gems and minerals and enjoy other special events and programs. Catch a show at the Dallas Theater Center, take in the sounds of a symphony at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, embark on the Texas Sculpture Walk, and so much more.
- Houston – The city itself is brimming with activity, but most notably, it’s home to the Space Center Houston, NASA’s Mission Control. Visit the Sam Houston Park for a trip back in time, or explore the popular Museum District, where you’ll find 19 world-class institutions.
- Big Bend National Park – From sightseeing to hiking, horseback riding to camping, there is an abundance to see and do in this park. The river, desert, and mountains are all within the 800,000-acre attraction.
- Austin – The state capital is also known for its live music scene, with big nods to country, blues, and rock genres. But music aside, you’ll want to explore the many unique attractions that make this city one of a kind.
- San Antonio River Walk – A fun way to navigate the city, the river walk offers access to shopping, dining, sightseeing, and more. You can stroll by foot and find the treasures of San Antonio on your own, or take a guided tour on a river barge. Whether you end up at a historical site like the Alamo or in a restaurant enjoying good food al fresco is up to you.
Living in TX
Although summers tend to be hot and humid, warm weather seekers will appreciate the mild winters. Overall, the climate is favorable year-round. Texas also has a low cost of living and has no income tax. This means that retirement income, including Social Security benefits, pension income, and retirement account income are not taxed, so your dollar can go farther.
Research and Explore the Best Communities in Texas
Click to explore the following Texas communities. Request information from multiple communities by selecting the checkboxes to the right and completing the form below.
Located just 25 minutes west of Austin, lies the premiere master-planned community of Headwaters, offering new homes in Dripping Springs. Dramatic topography, stunning Hill Country views and miles of nature trails with breath-taking vistas are the hallmarks of this exceptional place. Here, homeowners enjoy a seamless blend of natural beauty and modern living both at home and in the community around them. Modern farmhouse-inspired homes line professionally landscaped streets while a sophisticated amenities center shines as the heart of the community.
Encore by David Weekley Homes will soon offer a new 55+ lifestyle community in Arlington. You will shortly be able to enjoy thoughtfully-designed one-story homes and bright, open floor plans. Elements at Viridian – Signature Series homes are situated on 45 and 50 foot homesites and will feature expanded Outdoor Living Areas for entertaining. Here, you can soon enjoy the home of your dreams, plus the lifestyle you’ve been looking for, including:
• Calendar full of activities planned by a Lifestyle Director
• Staying in prime shape on the miles of walking, hiking and biking trails
• Relaxing in the resort-style pools
• Gathering with friends at the amenity center’s lounge
• Fishing in the catch-and-release lakes
• Enjoying a friendly game on the putting greens, shuffleboard, bocce ball and tennis courts
David Weekley’s first 55+ active adult community is coming soon to the brand new, master-planned community of The Highlands! Located in Porter, TX, The Highlands is dedicated to everything you know and love about home and nature. The Highlands is a 2,300-acre exploration of natural beauty and will be built to take full advantage of its densely forested, national park-like setting. David Weekley’ section in The Highlands – Encore will feature 45- and 55-foot, single-story homesites along with top-quality construction, open-concept livability and a splendid Montgomery County location near shopping, dining and entertainment. In The Highlands, you’ll soon experience the best in Design, Choice and Service from one of Houston’s top home builders as well as a variety of amenities, including:
• Lifestyle Director to schedule activities
• 55+ clubhouse
• 18-hole golf course and tennis courts
• Hiking, biking and adventure trail system along the San Jacinto River
• Event lawn and pavilion, recreation field and playgrounds
• Acres of parks, greenspaces and onsite lakes for fishing and kayaking
• Waterpark with lazy river
Plan a visit to Texas
Ideal living starts with the right community—so why not find one in Texas? Options like active senior communities and 55+ communities give you the perfect place to settle down, complete with the resort living lifestyle you’re after. If you’re curious, set up some time to visit a community that catches your eye. Try it on for a weekend. See if it fits. Then, you’ll know for sure that the Lone Star State offers you the big things you want for this time of your life.