Discover the Nation's Best Coastal Communities
The sound of waves lulling you to sleep doesn’t have to be an experience reserved for vacation—for those living in coastal communities, it’s a way of life. If a walk on the beach, fishing, or a scenic boat ride sound like your ideal activity, buying a home in a coastal community could be the right choice for you.
Why choose a coastal community?
A relaxed pace of life combined with plenty of options for activity gives the coast a unique offering: you can always find the right pace for you. Paddle past an egret in the morning, catch a fish in the afternoon, or take a walk on the sand collecting seashells at dusk. There’s always something to do, but no pressure when you want to take it easy.
What are the benefits of living in a coastal community?
- Mild climate: The moderating effect of the ocean means that life by the coast is usually a little cooler in the summer and a little warmer in the winter, creating the ideal setting for those who love to spend their days outdoors.
- Outdoor activities: Sitting on the back deck looking out over the ocean or taking an evening walk on the sand are just a few of the activities you can choose from in a coastal community. From boating, to fishing, to kayaking and more, there’s always something to do when you’re by the coast.
- Active and healthy lifestyle: Few things feel more calming than a deep breath of salt air. Those living in coastal communities find it’s easy to have an active and healthy life because there’s plenty to do outside.
- Water views: Home values remain high where there are water views—and what’s more relaxing than waking up to a picturesque landscape out your back door?
- Wildlife watching: From pelicans to dolphins, turtles to crabs, it’s hard to go a day without witnessing wildlife when you’re living by the coast. For those who enjoy birdwatching or just casually encountering nature while going about daily activities, the coast can deliver constant excitement.
- Relaxing pace: There’s no rush on the coast. While you might not be on full island time, living by the sea often comes with a slower pace that lets residents live in the moment and truly take in their surroundings.
Ready to live by the seashore?
Below you’ll find coastal communities to discover and explore. Whether you’re a beach lover or seeking something slightly inland, these communities let you enjoy the best the coast has to offer while living a comfortable and active life.
When you find coastal communities you’re interested in, use the information request form to contact a local expert from the area. Through that form you can ask questions, find information on the destination, and get a feel for the lifestyle. The sky's the limit—you can even inquire about specifics like HOA fees, details about the amenities, or the prices of homes in the area.
If you’re looking for a certain location in particular, just use the filtering options on the left to narrow down your options and find the seaside spot that’s calling your name.
Research and Explore Coastal Communities
Encore by David Weekley Homes will soon offer a new 55+ lifestyle community in Arlington. You will shortly be able to enjoy thoughtfully-designed one-story homes and bright, open floor plans. Elements at Viridian – Signature Series homes are situated on 45 and 50 foot homesites and will feature expanded Outdoor Living Areas for entertaining. Here, you can soon enjoy the home of your dreams, plus the lifestyle you’ve been looking for, including:
• Calendar full of activities planned by a Lifestyle Director
• Staying in prime shape on the miles of walking, hiking and biking trails
• Relaxing in the resort-style pools
• Gathering with friends at the amenity center’s lounge
• Fishing in the catch-and-release lakes
• Enjoying a friendly game on the putting greens, shuffleboard, bocce ball and tennis courts
David Weekley’s first 55+ active adult community is coming soon to the brand new, master-planned community of The Highlands! Located in Porter, TX, The Highlands is dedicated to everything you know and love about home and nature. The Highlands is a 2,300-acre exploration of natural beauty and will be built to take full advantage of its densely forested, national park-like setting. David Weekley’ section in The Highlands – Encore will feature 45- and 55-foot, single-story homesites along with top-quality construction, open-concept livability and a splendid Montgomery County location near shopping, dining and entertainment. In The Highlands, you’ll soon experience the best in Design, Choice and Service from one of Houston’s top home builders as well as a variety of amenities, including:
• Lifestyle Director to schedule activities
• 55+ clubhouse
• 18-hole golf course and tennis courts
• Hiking, biking and adventure trail system along the San Jacinto River
• Event lawn and pavilion, recreation field and playgrounds
• Acres of parks, greenspaces and onsite lakes for fishing and kayaking
• Waterpark with lazy river
Located just 25 minutes west of Austin, lies the premiere master-planned community of Headwaters, offering new homes in Dripping Springs. Dramatic topography, stunning Hill Country views and miles of nature trails with breath-taking vistas are the hallmarks of this exceptional place. Here, homeowners enjoy a seamless blend of natural beauty and modern living both at home and in the community around them. Modern farmhouse-inspired homes line professionally landscaped streets while a sophisticated amenities center shines as the heart of the community.
Plan your visit
Imagining the sand between your toes? Below you’ll find coastal communities from Virginia to Florida and everywhere in between. After you’ve selected a few that catch your eye, plan your visit to get a real taste of the sea life. You’ll find many of these communities offer discovery tours so you can see the best of the area, meet some neighbors and understand the sunny coastal life that awaits.