Discover the Best Alabama Communities
If you’re seeking a retirement with beautiful beaches, most people think: Florida. But there are other areas that check this box—and even fewer crowds. One of them? Alabama. The Heart of Dixie offers warm weather, plenty of golf, and white sandy beaches.
Why retire in Alabama?
For many people, Alabama isn’t the first pick for retirement. However, it’s becoming more and more popular. Low cost of living and reasonable taxes combined with beautiful natural landscapes, rich culture, and great southern cuisine continue to draw people in.
What are the benefits of living in Alabama?
There are plenty of reasons retirees are heading to Alabama to live a relaxing, full life.
- Beautiful nature out your door: When you’re in Alabama, you’ve got a lot to do at your fingertips. From the Appalachian Mountains in the northern part of the state, to the 60 miles of gulf shores on the southern coast, there’s no shortage of beautiful terrain to admire.
- Fine dining options: Alabama is home to delicious barbeque and traditional southern food around every turn, but its cities are also home to upscale and unusual fine dining experiences that are hard to find anywhere else.
- Golfing: You can hit the links at over 300 golf courses in the state of Alabama. Additionally, the state plays host to spectator events: the Birmingham National Invitational Golf Tournament and the Alabama Open.
- Healthy lifestyle: All that nature and wide open space means living an active and healthy lifestyle comes naturally here. Hiking, walking, golfing, swimming, tennis, and more are all possibilities for daily life here.
- Sports lovers unite: If you’re a sports fan, there are few college teams that generate more buzz than the University of Alabama’s Crimson Tide football program.
- Seasons changing: If you look forward to the change of the seasons, retiring in Alabama might be for you. You can experience a true summer and winter here without worrying about shoveling snow.
- Lower taxes: Income tax ranges from just 2-5% here.
- City life: Birmingham is a bustling and historic city. Quaint old theaters rich with history, the Birmingham Museum of Art, and live music abound there.
Ready to head to Alabama?
If Alabama is piquing your interest as a place you might see yourself retiring, we’ve got options for you. Browse the Alabama retirement communities below to get a taste of what’s available there. When you find one you like, use the information request form to contact a local representative in the area. You chat with neighbors, ask questions about the lifestyle, and understand the state more. If there’s a location in particular that interests you, use the filtering options on the left to narrow down and find your ideal community.
Research and Explore the Best Alabama Retirement Communities
Click to explore the following Alabama communities. Request information from multiple communities by selecting the checkboxes to the right and completing the form below.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
Plan your Alabama retirement community visit
The next step is to get a trip on the books. You won’t know for sure until you visit, after all. Several of the Alabama communities below offer tours or will arrange for you to stay nearby to tour. Pack your bags; it’s time to see the state for yourself.