What Is a 55+ Community?
55+ communities are ideal for active adults who want to surround themselves with like-minded, healthy people who are at, or near, retirement age, but young at heart. Many are located in warmer climates and offer a fun, outdoor-oriented lifestyle year-round.
All active adult communities are designed with mature residents in mind--from floor plans, to amenities, programs, and resources--but not all have an age requirement. True 55+ communities are age-restricted, meaning that one of the household’s residents must be 55 years of age or older in order to purchase property there. Of course, visitors of younger age are welcomed.
Why Choose a 55+ Community?
55+ communities typically offer a number of exciting amenities and social programs. Residents are drawn to features like:
- Luxury lifestyle amenities: golf courses, tennis courts, pools, fitness centers, walking paths, clubhouses, restaurants, bars, and sometimes much more.
- Secure, gated entries offering safety and piece of mind for both full-time and seasonal residents.
- An active calendar of social events - Holiday parties, themed dinners, golf tournaments, tennis and pickle-ball mixers, bridge, clubs for special hobbies and interests, guest speakers, and much more.
- Hassle-free exterior home maintenance, such as lawn care and landscaping, included in HOA dues.
- New construction homes which are energy efficient and require very little upkeep.
- Well-maintained common areas, architectural standards, and other aesthetic features.
- Neighbors who are friendly and social.
Where To Next?
Browse the 55+ communities listed below and use our easy information request form to connect with a community representative who can answer any questions you may have. You may wish to ask about homes or lots for sale, HOA fees, or anything else related to the community.
If you already know what state(s) you are interested in, use the filtering options at left to narrow your search.
As we all know, retirees flock to the Sunshine State every year to escape chilly winters. And, to bask, permanently, in the sun. Subsequently, 55 plus communities are abundant in Florida. As a result of the high level of competition, amenities in most communities are exceedingly good, and consistently being upgraded.
Looking for somewhere a little less populated? Can't live without four distinct seasons? Then you might be interested in the mountain and lake communities of North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia.
Or, head West! Arkansas, Arizona, Texas, and Nevada are all 55+ havens for those seeking natural beauty, outdoor adventure, and golf and luxury options.
Research and Explore the Best 55+ Communities
Click to explore the following 55+ communities. Request information from multiple communities by selecting the checkboxes to the right and completing the form below.
Now, for the fun part. Once you’ve made a short list of communities you’re interested in, make plans to visit! Many communities offer discovery tours or “stay and play” packages, so you can experience, say, for a weekend, what it would be like to live there. This is the very best way to know for sure if a community is right for you.